ByAmy Kaplan, writer at
Senior Staff Writer // Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @PhotoAmy33
Amy Kaplan

UFC interim light heavyweight champion, Jon Jones' USADA arbitration hearing took 10 hours yesterday, and there are still no answers.

"I think the evidence all came in and we're happy with sort of how the case went and now we're just gonna wait for the decision," Jones' attorney Howard Jacobs said to MMAFighting. "It's out of our hands now."

Jones, who is currently on suspension for a potential doping violation, is adamant that he took tainted supplements, and was not cheating ahead of his UFC 200 bout with Daniel Cormier.

Jones sat with three arbitrators (who charge $325/hour) yesterday over the course of five hours, and will now wait until the official decision has been reached. Jones' legal team requested an expedited decision, in order to have a decision before his Nevada Athletic Commission disciplinary hearing November 10 for the same matter.

This is the first time a UFC athlete has gone to arbitration with USADA.

Jones is facing a one-year suspension from USADA after testing positive for two anti-estrogen agents in an out-of-competition drug test, taken June 16. He could face further punishment and fines from the NAC with or without the USADA results finalized. He has maintained his innocence throughout the process.

According to Jones' lawyer there were settlement offers from , but none were taken.

Because of the failed test, he was pulled from his UFC 200 bout which would have unified the light heavyweight title. He missed out on a potential $10 million paycheck, and due to his suspension, is unable to compete on some of the largest UFC cards the promotion has ever hosted.

Jones is still considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the UFC. He won his last fight at 197 in April, a unanimous decision win over Ovince Saint Preux, where he was awarded the interim belt. Jones had just returned from his last suspension following a hit and run incident.


Latest from our Creators