At UFC 188, Fabricio Werdum battled Cain Velasquez in the main event of the UFC 188 card in Mexico City, Mexico. That night, the Brazilian defeated Cain Velasquez to become the new UFC heavyweight champion. Werdum utilized his sharp striking, along with his superior cardio, to batter Velasquez for two rounds, before submitting the champ with a guillotine choke.
The official stoppage came at 3:13 of round three.
Now, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt is getting ready to fight Travis Browne for a second time in the co-main event of Saturday's UFC 203, and hopes to get back in title contention with a win over Browne. The two heavyweights previously fought a little bit over two years ago at UFC on FOX 11, where Werdum outpointed Browne to win a unanimous decision.
UFC 203 takes place in Cleveland, Ohio, and is set to be headlined by UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic and Number 3 contender, Alistair Overeem.
The full UFC 203 card goes as follows:
(Pay-per-view main card)
- Stipe Miocic vs. Alistair Overeem
- Fabrício Werdum vs. Travis Browne
- CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall
- Urijah Faber vs. Jimmie Rivera
- Jéssica Andrade vs. Joanne Calderwood
(Preliminary Card on Fox Sports 1)
- Jessica Eye vs. Bethe Correia
- Nik Lentz vs. Michael McBride
- Caio Magalhães vs. Brad Tavares
- CB Dollaway vs. Francimar Barroso
(Preliminary Card on UFC Fight Pass)
- Yancy Medeiros vs. Sean Spencer
- Drew Dober vs. Jason Gonzalez