The UFC is home to some of the best and most skilled fighters MMA has to offer. They train hard every day and challenge each other to jaw-dropping fights for the world to watch, and while the fighters' training, stamina and determination sometimes seem out of this world, could they stand a chance against superheroes like the Hulk, Daredevil or Captain America?
David Rispoli from Champions recently headed down to the Alliance MMA gym to interview UFC Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz to ask him about this very topic: Who would win in a fight: People who devote their lives to the fighting sport or comic book characters whose abilities surpass those of mortal men? Well, here's what Cruz had to say about the three match-ups presented to him:
1. Nate Diaz Vs. Daredevil
UFC lightweight fighter Nate Diaz against The Man without Fear (and sight). Let's break down the stats, shall we?
- Fighter nickname: N/A
- Height/Weight: 6'0"/170.5 lbs.
- Team: Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
- Fighting out of: Stockton, CA
- Main adversary: Conor McGregor, a.k.a. The Notorious
- Superhero name: Daredevil
- Height/Weight: 6'0"/200 lbs.
- Team: The Defenders
- Fighting out of: Hell's Kitchen, NY
- Main adversary: Wilson Fisk, a.k.a. King
But while Daredevil's enhanced senses and fighting prowess can make this answer a really easy one, Cruz adds an unexpected component to the mix: Marijuana.
As a vocal advocate for cannabis, it's a pretty safe bet that Diaz would be high during the fight. Cruz jokes that as weed could be considered a performance-enhancing drug, it's only fair for the blind lawyer Matt Murdock, a.k.a. Daredevil, to also partake. Cruz figures this extra push would stimulate Daredevil's already-enhanced senses to the max and enable him to easily beat Nate.
Winner: Matt Murdock, a.k.a. Daredevil
Well... that doesn't seem fair. Let's see how he does without the weed!
2. Brock Lesnar Vs. The Hulk
Old dog with new tricks Brock Lesnar vs. the man you never want to make angry. How do the stats match up?
- Fighter nickname: The Beast
- Height/Weight: 6'3"/265.5 lbs.
- Team: DeathClutch Gym
- Fighting out of: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Main adversary: Frank Mir
- Superhero name: The Hulk
- Height/Weight: 5'9"/128 lbs. (as Bruce Banner), 7'-8'/1,040-1,400 lbs. (as Hulk)
- Team: The Avengers
- Fighting out of: N/A
- Main adversary: Emil Blonksy, a.k.a. Abomination
This is a pretty tough decision. As Bruce Banner, the mild-mannered scientist would get murdered, but as The Hulk...does Lesnar really stand a chance against the unstable green goliath? Diaz acknowledges that while Lesnar does, Hulk's ability to grow more powerful as he receives more punches would beat Lesnar's propensity to get smaller after the first round.
Also, being an athlete, Diaz can spot a steroid user a mile away and he made this shocking revelation about the Hulk: He's on that "gamma stuff."
Winner: Bruce Banner, a.k.a. The Hulk
Seriously Banner? PEDs? Respect the sport.
3. Dan Henderson Vs. Captain America
Former Pride and Strikeforce champion Dan Henderson vs. The Star-Spangled Avenger. You know what's next — let's break it down:
- Fighter nickname: Hendo
- Height/Weight: 5'11"/185 lbs.
- Team: Team Quest
- Fighting out of: Temecula, CA
- Main adversary: Michael Bisping, a.k.a. The Count
- Superhero name: Captain America
- Height/Weight: 6'2"/220 lbs.
- Team: The Avengers
- Fighting out of: Brooklyn, NY
- Main adversary: Johann Schmidt, a.k.a. Red Skull
Who has the advantage? America's favorite super soldier or a super fighter? Let's keep in mind that Steve Rogers possesses peak human strength, and not superhuman like the green guy above. Cruz jokes that since old man Cap and Hendo are probably about the same age, a fair match isn't unreasonable. But what is the key factor that would ensure Captain America's victory against Henderson in a fight, according to Cruz? Cap's extended reach due to his shield.
While he gives Henderson points by acknowledging that his powerful right punch could damage Cap's legendary shield, Cruz gives this victory to Steve Rogers.
Winner: Steve Rogers, a.k.a. Captain America
Let's face it, the edge of that shield would knock the teeth out of anyone, and all Cap has to do is reach. Still, the UFC might want to investigate his alleged Super Solder serum use.
- The Real Martial Arts Styles Of Marvel's Movie Superheroes
- 'Supergirl' Stunt Woman Wows With Historic American Ninja Warrior Run
- Invicta's Megan Anderson Explains Her Love Of Superheroes
Which Comic Book Character Would Dominick Cruz Like To Be?
After all this talk about superheroes and UFC fighters and Cruz' quick and knowledgeable responses, which comic book character would the fighter be if he had the chance? The Merc with a Mouth himself, Wade Wilson, a.k.a. Deadpool. Cruz states he feels he can be just as annoying for his UFC opponents as the antihero. Props to Cruz here. If you think about it, is a great strategy: Annoy the living hell out of them until they're confused or take a misplaced swing, giving you a reasonable advantage.
If you want to check out more Champions vids with UFC fighters breaking it down, pop culture style, just head to the official YouTube Channel.