Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has decided to walk away from the hope that he will ever get a shot at Jon Jones.
"It's just not gonna happen - at this point, I know it's not gonna happen," Johnson told ESPN.com. "It is what it is. I'm moving forward. Everybody is moving forward. I'm still shooting high and trying to do what I can in this sport. I'm not focused on Jon anymore. And I can tell you Daniel Cormier, Glover -- they're not focused on Jon, either. Nobody in this division is focused on Jon anymore. That's a fact."
That's not shocking considering there is no news on if and when Jones might return to the UFC.
In case you aren't familiar here's a timeline of the Jones saga.
- Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson were scheduled to fight at UFC 187 for light heavyweight title.
- In April 2015, Jones was removed from card, had his title stripped, and was suspended from the UFC due to a hit and run accident. Daniel Cormier step[ed in to replace Jones.
- Cormier defeated Johnson to become light heavyweight champion.
- In October 2015, Jones was reinstated to UFC
- A fight was booked between Jones and Cormier.
- In April 2016, Cormier withdrew from the fight due to an injury. Ovince Saint Preux stepped in to fight Jones for the light heavyweight interim title. Jones won the interim title.
- Cormier vs. Jones was rescheduled to be the UFC 200 main event, to decide the undisputed champion of the division.
- On July 6, just 3 days shy of UFC 200, Jones was removed from the card due to a potential USADA violation, and suspended pending an investigation.
While the punishment for Jones is unclear, it's very likely he will be suspended two years. Johnson says no one is really willing to wait around for the "what ifs."
"I ain't trying to fight until I'm 35," Johnson said. "I'm trying to make my money and go on to something different -- do bigger and better things with my life. Hell, I don't want to get punched in the head that damn much. I've got other things I want to do."
Johnson faces Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 on August 20 at the T-Mobile Arena.