Hey Jason Bourne, how've you been? It sure has been a while!
It's been nearly a decade since the last Bourne film starring the titular character was released, and over 14 years since the original in 2002. If you're anything like me, you're probably at least a little bit hazy as to what happened in those movies.
Not to worry though, as Matt Damon himself is here to give a full recap of the series (minus the one with Hawkeye) in just 90 seconds! Check it out:
If that's still not enough for you, here are the series highlights you might need a refresher on before watching the new one:
The Bourne Identity (2002)
- A mysterious man wakes up in the Mediterranean Sea with gunshot wounds and the number of a Swiss safe deposit box.
- He reaches said box and assumes the name Jason Bourne, based on a passport he finds.
- After surviving assassination attempts by the CIA and falling in love with a German woman named Marie, Bourne discovers that he is a government operative himself who lost his memory during a botched mission.
- Bourne remembers that he was a product of "Treadstone," a CIA black ops program that used behavior modification techniques to train assassins.
- After recovering some of his memories, Bourne leaves a warning for his former CIA handlers and goes into hiding with Marie.
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
- Two years after Identity, Bourne is framed for an attack by a Russian operative, and Marie is killed in a subsequent assassination attempt.
- While trying to figure out who set him up, Bourne kidnaps Nicky Parsons, a CIA logistics technician from the first movie.
- Bourne discovers that he was framed by one of the founders of Operation Treadstone, who stole millions of dollars from the CIA and used Bourne to cover his tracks.
- Bourne exposes this betrayal to the CIA, kills the Russian agent who murdered Marie, and goes back into hiding.
The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
- Six weeks after Supremacy, Jason Bourne is investigating a British journalist who was looking into Operation Treadstone.
- In the process, he is drawn into a confrontation with agents of Operation Blackbriar, the successor program to Treadstone.
- He reunites with Nicky Parsons, who helps him to expose the existence of Treadstone and Blackbriar to the public.
- While escaping from CIA operatives, Bourne is shot while jumping into the East River in New York.
- His body was never found.
So there you have it, you're all caught up on the original trilogy, and ready to watch superspy and martial arts master Jason Bourne back in action this weekend!