Jose Aldo believes that he will get a chance to unify the featherweight title at UFC 205, but only if Conor McGregor loses his next fight.
"If he loses (to Diaz), it’s highly likely that they put us to fight on November 12, at Madison Square Garden. The Irish community is big over there," Aldo told the media during a media scrum in Brazil, via MMAFighting.com. "But if he wins, I think they will do a third fight between them and ruin all my plans."
McGregor faced Aldo back in December and 14 seconds later he had taken the belt from the previously undefeated champion. A rematch has been rumored ever since except McGregor wanted a chance at the lightweight belt first. So a bout was set for UFC 194 where he would face the champion, Rafael dos Anjos. But in true MMA fashion dos Anjos had to pull out due to injury and Nate Diaz stepped in to fight, but at a catchweight 170 pounds; and we all know how well that went for McGregor (he lost).
Now, he and Diaz are set to make another go round at UFC 202 in August, meanwhile Aldo has returned to the octagon, faced Frankie Edgar, and obtained the interim featherweight title.
Ok, everyone caught up now?
"He has to lose. Otherwise, they will do a third fight," Aldo said. "I’m rooting for him to lose, of course. If he wins, they will do another rematch with Nate, and that’s bad. He has to lose. He will lose."
There is a fear that McGregor may never return to 145, or a rematch with Aldo. The weight cut regulations have gotten tighter and it seems it was a struggle for McGregor to make the weight limit as it was. That's something Aldo has had to consider.
"Then I’m f---ed," Aldo said.
(Image via MMAWeekly.com)