UFC Heavyweight Champ Daniel Cormier has been named as Honorary Chairman of World Cup of Freestyle Wrestling for 2016.
“We have an amazing team this year. A chance to see them live is something you can’t get back after it’s gone. We have one of the better Olympic teams that we have had in a long time,” said Cormier in a statement to TeamUSA.org.
Cormier is a former two-time Olympian in men’s freestyle wrestling and has been vocal about keeping wrestling programs in schools.
The honorary position means that Cormier will promote the World Cup, which will see the top eight men’s freestyle nations compete in Los Angeles, June 11 to 12.
Some of Cormier's wrestling accomplishments include:
- A member of 2004 U.S. Olympic Team
- A member of 2008 U.S Olympic Team
- Placed fourth at 2004 Olympic Games
- A 2007 World bronze medalist
- Placed fifth in the 2003 World Championships
- Wrestled on six straight U.S. World or Olympic Teams
- Won six straight U.S. Open national titles
- A silver medalist at the 2005 World Cup
Cormier is set to face Jon Jones at historic UFC 200 in July.