It wasn't a total loss on Saturday for Conor McGregor. His historical road to total belt domination was slowed down, but McGregor found a way to make history in another way.
He's the first fighter to win a seven figure disclosed purse in the UFC, and he did so by submitting to Nate Diaz in the second round. Not bad for two rounds in the Octagon.
The salaries were released by the Nevada Athletic Commission after UFC 196.
Diaz, a late replacement for Rafael dos Anjos, took home $500,000 (and, you know, major bragging rights). Holly Holm also made $500,000 despite losing. The new bantamweight champions, Miesha Tate made a fraction of that, only bringing home $92,000. Suffice to say, the new title holder will get a substantial pay increase to defend her title, especially if it's against Ronda Rousey.
There was only one other fighter to hit the 6 figure mark and that was Diego Sanchez who earned $150,000 for his win over Jim Miller. Their fight headlined the prelims portion of the night's card.
Diaz (x2), McGregor and Tate all took home $50,000 in fight night bonuses for their performances.
A full list of the night's earning is listed below. Keep in mind these figure do not include sponsorships, PPV bonuses or discretionary post-fight bonuses. Those numbers are not publicly disclosed.
Main card (Pay-per-view)
- Nate Diaz ($500,000 + no win bonus = $500,000) def. Conor McGregor ($1,000,000)
- Miesha Tate ($46,000 + $46,000 = $92,000) def. Holly Holm ($500,000)
- Ilir Latifi ($25,000 + $25,000 = $50,000) def. Gian Villante ($36,000)
- Corey Anderson ($20,000 + $20,000 = $40,000) def. Tom Lawlor ($28,000)
- Amanda Nunes ($28,000 + $28,000 = $56,000) def. Valentina Shevchenko ($14,000)
Preliminary card (FOX Sports 1)
- Siyar Bahadurzada ($19,000 + $19,000 = $38,000) def. Brandon Thatch ($22,000)
- Nordine Taleb ($15,000 + $15,000 = $30,000) def. Erick Silva ($34,000)
- Vitor Miranda ($16,000 + $16,000 = $32,000) def. Marcelo Guimaraes ($13,000)
- Darren Elkins ($37,000 + $37,000 = $74,000) def. Chas Skelly ($21,000)
- Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
- Diego Sanchez ($75,000 + $75,000 = $150,000) def. Jim Miller ($59,000)
- Jason Saggo ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Justin Salas ($16,000)
- Teruto Ishihara ($17,000 + $17,000 = $34,000) def. Julian Erosa ($12,000)