Larry Fitzgerald plays in one of the most popular American athletic leagues in the country. He's a veteran wide receiver in the NFL, he's played his entire career loyally with the Arizona Cardinals, and has long been an influential member of the league.. The fact that he was at UFC 194, sitting ringside, during his time off between practices is huge proof, IMHO, that this sport is growing.
But if you needed more than just a nod from a fellow athlete, these attendance numbers will probably get your juices flowing when it comes to thinking about the future of the sport.
Saturday night’s UFC 194 event at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada drew an announced attendance of 16,516 and a live gate of $10.1 million.
According to UFC executive Dave Sholler, the attendance total was the largest UFC event ever in Las Vegas. The gate total is the second highest in UFC history after UFC 129 at Rogers Centre in Toronto.
It wasn't revealed how many of the tickets were "comped" (or free of charge), but $611.53 was the average price per ticket. These are massive events.
Here's a ranking of the UFC events that have occurred at MGM in order of attendance. UFC 194 is at the top.
- 1. UFC 194: 16,516 attendance ($10.1 million live gate)
- 2. UFC 189: 16,019 attendance ($7.2 million)
- 3. UFC 183: 13,114 ($4.5 million)
- 4. UFC 187: 12,615 ($5.2 million)
- 5. UFC 182: 11,575 ($3.7 million)
- 6. UFC 191: 10,873 ($1.36 million)
- 7. The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale: 4,844 ($291,000)