Coming out of UFC 206, there were a lot of records broken. It's almost like they knew 2016 was coming to a close so the fighters starting pulling out all the stops. #CubSwanson's incredible fight with #DooHoChoi brought him to 9 post-fight bonuses, which is the most in the combined divisional history between the UFC and the WEC.
However, that doesn't hold a candle to #NateDiaz or #JoeLauzon. This year, Diaz and Lauzon tied with the most total post-fight bonuses at 15. Diaz still holds the highest amount of Fight of the Night bonuses at eight after #UFC202, beating out #FrankieEdgar. Lauzon still holds the most most Submission of the Night bonuses finishing out 2016, holding strong at 6.
Other records broken at UFC 206.
What a year for #MaxHolloway. Not only has he earned his first title and racked up more wins than #JoseAldo has had fights in the UFC, Holloway currently holds the records in five different categories after #UFC206.
It's no surprise that a "Cowboy" that fights what seems like every month was able to also break records in 2016. #DonaldCerrone's 17 stoppage victories are the most in the combined UFC/WEC organizational history. Watch out Mirko Cro Cop, not only has Cerrone earned all four of his welterweight wins by finishing his opponent. His 6 head kick knockouts are the most in the history of the UFC after his UFC 206 KO of #MattBrown.
Records broken throughout 2016.
This year was insane in and out of the Octagon. Throughout 2016, we would witness the first ever (simultaneous) two-weight UFC champion, as well as #MichaelBisping becoming the first ever British UFC champion. Here is an overview of some more record breakers this year:
- Reigning UFC strawweight champon #JoannaJedrzejcyk won her seventh fight in the Octagon, passing #RondaRousey with the most wins of anyone in the women's division.
- 3rd highest significant strike differential in UFC championship history (+113 vs. #ClaudiaGadelha)
- Highest significant strike differential in UFC championship history (+121 vs. #KarolinaKowalkiewicz)
Of course, the record for the most 2016 records is #ConorMcGregor.
- Highest UFC pay for UFC 202.
- Highest UFC gate for UFC 205.
- Highest MSG gate for UFC 205.
- Highest earner on the UFC roster.
- Highest pay-per-view buys for UFC 202.
- Most knockdowns in a single bout at UFC 205.
- Highest American attendance record for UFC 205.
- First ever simultaneous, UFC multi-divisional champion.
- Most Performance of the Night awards in UFC history at 6.
- Most consecutive post-fight bonuses in UFC history with 8.
- Most consecutive Performance of the Night awards in UFC at 5.