The UFC returns to Toronto, Canada this weekend for UFC 206. The event seemed to be thrown into turmoil back in November due to Daniel Cormier’s injury, but is now a heck of a lot more interesting thanks to the inclusion of the interim featherweight belt.
The event is headlined by Max Holloway vs. Anthony Pettis in what’s sure to be an explosive showdown for the interim featherweight belt. With #ConorMcGregor taking a hiatus from the sport allegedly deep into 2017, the UFC stripped the former featherweight champ of his belt (sorry… he relinquished the belt) in a bid to start unclogging the featherweight division.
Although Jose Aldo is once again the champion, all eyes are on the interim belt. With his last loss coming at the hands of McGregor three years ago, Max Holloway has firmly placed himself in title contention, riding high on a nine-fight win streak.
The former lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis, is coming off a third-round submission victory over #CharlesOliveira, and is looking to replicate the success of #BJPenn and #RandyCouture by winning two UFC championship belts in different weight classes.
Will we see Max Holloway take his run to ten fights undefeated, or will Anthony Pettis become the fourth fighter in the UFC’s history to hold two belts? We’ll find out December 10.
The UFC 206 fight card is as follows:
- Max Holloway vs. Anthony Pettis
- Donald Cerrone vs. Matt Brown
- Cub Swanson vs. Doo Ho Choi
- Tim Kennedy vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Jordan Mein vs. Emil Meek
- Nikita Krylov vs. Misha Cirkunov
- Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Drew Dober
- Valerie Letourneau vs. Viviane Pereira
- Mitch Gagnon vs. Matthew Lopez
- John Makdessi vs. Lando Vannata
- Jason Saggo vs. Rustam Khabilov
- Zach Makovsky vs. Dustin Ortiz