The upstart promotion presented by Chael Sonnen featured players from both the BJJ and MMA communities competing in its third event, and more than succeeded in capitalizing on the exposure that last month's battle between Jon Jones and Dan Henderson brought them. Between former UFC featherweight title challenger Chad Mendes submitting 27-time Grapplers Quest champion Jeff Glover and Antonio Carlos Junior following up his UFC 207 win by submitting Garry Tonnon, the night wasn't exactly short of its surprise finishes and major upsets.
One of the event's biggest highlights, however, was this absolutely insane flying triangle.
Competing against Lee Flores in an undercard bout, WSOF veteran Micah Brakefield wowed the audience early, channeling Anthony Pettis to score an off-the-cage flying triangle submission in the opening moments of the fight.
Let's check that out from another angle.
Following the big win, Brakefield used his time on the mic to call out UFC middleweight Sam Alvey, who had just scored his first win of the year (and fourth straight in the UFC) over Nate Marquardt at UFC Denver that night. As you might expect, Alvey seems more than game.
It looks like SUG 4 might have its main event lined up already.
Complete Submission Underground 3 Results:
- Dillon Danis def AJ Agazarm via fastest escape time in OT
- Antonio Carlos Jr. ('Cara de Sapato') def Garry Tonon via flying triangle
- Chad Mendes def Jeff Glover via rear naked choke in OT
- Gordon Ryan def Joe Baize via triangle armbar
- Morgan Mainz def Phil Dunlap via shoulder injury
- Mike Dewitt def Aaron Martin via foot lock
- Bryna Nuro def Alex Le via bow & arrow Choke in OT
- Tom Burns def Abel Briceno via triangle armbar
- Austin Springer def Justin Mark via fastest escape time in OT
- Hannah Sharp def Roma Pawelek via kneebar
- Micah Brakefield def Lee Flores via flying triangle
- Billy Yi def Brian Van Ornum via triangle choke
- Dan Walsh def Taylor Ron Murders via rear naked choke
- Logan Skinner def Brian Travis via toehold
- Andrew Sidelinger def Zach Force via armbar
- Niko Hughes def Derrick Flag via fastest escape time in OT
- Kyle Stafford def Joey Elsmore via triangle choke