In response to Conor McGregor's comments during a PPV interview on Saturday, Floyd Mayweather Jr. said he would be willing to fight Conor McGregor, in what could be one of the most lucrative fights in boxing history.
"I believe the fight can happen," Mayweather said. "Conor McGregor is a tough competitor. He proved throughout the years in the UFC that he can fight standing up, so we will just have to see what the future holds."
Mayweather said he would want the fight to take place at 147 or 150 pounds.
"Can we make this fight happen? Absolutely. That's what everyone wants to see. Of course Showtime is the biggest and best in the business. Hopefully Showtime PPV, we can make it happen."
Mayweather made the comments during an interview with Jim Gray during Showtime Championship Boxing's telecast of the Carl Frampton vs. Leo Santa Cruz fight, that Santa Cruz won by majority decision.
"The fans want this fight. The fans have been asking for this fight. It's all about entertainment. He's very entertaining. He's very outspoken, like myself so let's give the fans what they want to see."
“I believe the next time I step into a combat arena will be through the ropes wearing 10-ounce or eight-ounce gloves," McGregor said. "I believe so.”
McGregor is the UFC lightweight champion and has been calling for a fight with the undefeated Mayweather for months. Saturday's comments were the strongest in support of a fight with McGregor so far from Mayweather.