BJ Penn is fighting for the first time in about two years, Sunday, but first had to make the featherweight weight limit Saturday morning in Phoenix. The former lightweight and welterweight world champion says he's campaigning for a title at a third class, now.
Penn looked fairly healthy and hydrated on the scale during the official weigh-ins for his main event contest against Yair Rodriguez. MMAFighting's Shaun Al-Shatti was on the scene and snapped the below shots of Penn and Rodriguez.
#YairRodriguez not only made the non-title featherweight weight limit as #BJPenn did, but came in a pound under and right on the mark he'd need to if he were fighting in a championship contest - 145lbs.
In all, all of the fighters on Sunday's card made weight, Saturday morning.
Check the weights out, below:
- Yair Rodriguez (145) vs. BJ Penn (146)
- Joe Lauzon (155) vs. Marcin Held (156)
- Court McGee (170) vs. Ben Saunders (170)
- John Moraga (126) vs. Sergio Pettis (125)
- Devin Powell (155) vs. Drakkar Klose (156)
- Frankie Saenz (135) vs. Augusto Mendes (135)
- Oleksiy Oliynyk (242) vs. Viktor Pesta (239)
- Tony Martin (155) vs. Alex White (155)
- Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger (115) vs. Nina Ansaroff (116)
- Walt Harris (254) vs. Chase Sherman (246)
- Bojan Mihajlović (205) vs. Joachim Christensen (205)
- Dmitri Smoliakov (257) vs. Cyril Asker (248)
Now, all that is left is for these UFC warriors before fight time is to hydrate, eat, rest and wait for their names to be called and the curtain to part. Stay with us all weekend long for complete UFC Fight Night coverage!