Not even Montezuma could stop #AlistairOvereem from fighting at UFC 209.
Finishing #MarkHunt for the second time in nine years, Overeem delivered a brilliant performance inside the Octagon, destroying Hunt's leg with kicks before a earning the third-round stoppage.
But, the performance came only after battling food poisoning for the final two days before the bout.
Overeem, who submitted Hunt in their first encounter, finished the "Super Samoan" with a picturesque elbow-knee-uppercut combination. The stoppage came only after Overeem received a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for an IV that was administered
"We went through all the steps necessary," offered Overeem following the fight. "I got really sick, and yesterday at the weigh ins I was out."
Overeem, who returns to the win column following a #UFC203 loss to heavyweight champion #StipeMiocic, is now right back in the mix, admitting that he's eyeing #JuniorDosSantos, should the former champion beat Miocic at UFC 211.
And, regardless of who his next opponent is, Overeem maintains his motto in competition continues to be "it's life or death, that's how I treat it."
UFC 209 Results:
- Tyron Woodley def. Stephen Thompson via majority decision (48-47, 47-47, 48-47)
- David Teymur def. Lando Vannata via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Daniel Kelly def. Rashad Evans via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Cynthia Calvillo def. Amanda Cooper via tapout (rear naked choke) R1, 3:19
- Alistair Overeem def. Mark Hunt via KO (knees and punches) R3, 1:44
- Marcin Tybura def. Luis Henrique da Silva via TKO (punches) R3, 3:46
- Darren Elkins def. Mirsad Bektic via TKO (punch and head kick) R3, 3:19
- Iuri Alcantara def. Luke Sanders via tapout (kneebar) R2, 3:13
- Mark Godbeer def. Daniel Spitz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Tyson Pedro def. Paul Craig via TKO (elbows) R1, 4:10
- Albert Morales def. Andre Soukhamthath via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)